On Monday 18th January 2021, the Future Urban Ventilation Network hosted a launch event online. Professor Cath Noakes (PI) provided an overview of the project (slides here) and four air quality experts delivered fantastic presentations.
- Professor Stephen Holgate, University of Southampton, Clean air champion. The Clean Air programme and the health challenges associated with poor air quality
- Dr Sani Dimitroulopoulou, Principal Environmental Public Health Scientist, Public Health England. Indoor air quality and its health impacts
- Professor Paul Monks, Chief Scientific Adviser, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. COVID-19 and Net Zero: challenges and opportunities for the built and urban environment
- Professor Alan Penn, Chief Scientific Adviser, Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government. Policy challenges associated with air quality and buildings in urban environments
You can view these talks below, or click on the title to download the slides:
The afternoon provided more information about the project themes: ‘Coupled indoor-outdoor environments‘; ‘Health-centred ventilation design‘, and ‘Breathing City into Practice‘. This was followed by four online interactive discussion boards.
You can view these talks below, or click on the theme title to download the slides:
The day was concluded with a lively discussion panel to share a variety of perspectives on the topic. The invited panel were:
- Hywel Davies (Technical Director of CIBSE, the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers)
- Irene Gallou (joint Head of Specialist Modelling Group and a partner at Foster + Partners)
- Professor Elizabeth Shove (Distinguished Professor of Sociology, Lancaster University)
- Dr Lena Ciric (Senior Lecturer of molecular biology, UCL)
- Professor Helen ApSimon (Professor of Air Pollution Studies, Imperial College London
- Andy Acred (environmental design engineer and low-energy ventilation specialist at Foster + Partners)
You can view the panel discussion here: